LET US INTRODUCE OURSELVES.
The Five Day Film Challenge is coming! Mountain Craft Productions is teaming up with FestivAll to bring an interactive and fun filmmaking experience to Charleston. Our goal is to raise awareness about filmmaking as an art-form and to draw attention to West Virginia's local filmmaking community and filmmakers-to-be. Also, we don't know about you, but we think it sounds like a lot of fun!
HOW DOES IT WORK?
Participants of the Five Day Film Challenge will have five days to write, shoot, and edit a short film. Then, during FestivAll's opening weekend, we'll host a screening of the films at The Bakery (1007 Bigley Avenue, Charleston). The screening will be free to the public, so invite your friends! We'll have a panel of judges scoring the films, and after the screening we'll announce one or more winners. Cash prizes will be awarded as well as other perks. Specific prizes will be announced at a later date.
We'll be announcing the awards and associated prizes soon!
In the meantime, we've partnered up with a couple West Virginia film festivals to offer a unique perk to the winners of our challenge: If your film wins the Five Day Film Challenge, then you will enjoy an automatic acceptance into both the Plum Tuckered Film Festival in Davis, WV and the Cut to the Chase Film Festival in Shepherdstown, WV with waived entry fees! We want to help you get your films seen by a larger audience, so we're very pleased that our friends at these two festivals will help enable your films to travel the state!
Any person who wishes to participate in the contest and pays the entry fee is welcome to participate! However, we kindly ask that you read the rules carefully. Following the rules ensures fairness to all teams involved. So here we go...
- Who may enter. This contest is for residents of West Virginia only. Any individual filmmaker or team may enter. We are also open to filmmakers (and wannabe filmmakers) of any age. If you are entering as a team, you must designate a team captain. Your team captain will be responsible for maintaining communication with us before and during the film challenge. The team captain will also be responsible for making sure that films are submitted to us by the deadline.
- Entry fee. All individuals and teams need to pay our $30 entry fee to register. Until we receive your fee, you will not officially be listed on our registration log. Any questions you have about the fee may be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Contest dates. The film challenge period will run from Thursday, June 7th at noon to Tuesday, June 12th at noon, with the official film screening and awards being held at 6:00pm on Saturday, June 16th.
- Film rules.
- Assigning prompts. Noon on Thursday, June 7th will be the official start of the Five Day Filmmaking Challenge. At this time, three "prompts" will be randomly drawn and assigned to your film. A prompt is defined as a word, phrase, or object that must be included in your film. Prompts will be written on folded pieces of paper and drawn from a jar at random. Drawing of prompts will happen in downtown Charleston at the kickoff of the challenge. You have the option to send your team captain to draw the prompts for your team, otherwise prompts will be drawn for you. All team prompts will be announced on our Facebook Page by 2:00pm on June 7th.
- Prompt usage. Each prompt must be used in your film. This is how we keep the challenge fair and make sure that you aren't submitting a film that was previously made! You may, however, be creative with your use of the prompts. As a general rule, you'll be assigned one prompt from each prompt type: line of dialogue, prop, and wildcard. The line of dialogue prompt must be spoken by one of your characters. For the prop prompt, you'll be assigned a random object that must be included in your film. How you use it (or how much) is entirely up to you. But if we watch your film and can't find it, then be prepared to justify/explain your interpretation! Lastly, the wildcard prompt will be harder to define. It may be thematic, conceptual, or abstract in nature. How you interpret it will be up to you, but be prepared to explain your usage if it's not obvious!
Example: If you were to draw "shadows" as your wildcard prompt, you might make the concept of shadows or darkness a theme of your film. You might also choose to film the shadows of your characters in one of your scenes. Additionally, the subject of shadows may be spoken about in your dialogue.
- Duration. Films may be any length between 2-7 minutes, including the end credits. Make an effort to keep your film concise and entertaining.
- Logos. All films entered into the Five Day Film Challenge must begin with the Five Day Film Challenge logo and the logos of our sponsors. These will be provided to you in advance of the challenge period so that you have them ready to go.
- Submitting your film. Films will be due no later than noon on Tuesday, June 12th. Please plan to submit your film early in case you encounter any technical issues! Films that are not received by us before the deadline will be ineligible to win and no refund of the entry fee will be possible. Films must be submitted digitally and online through Vimeo, WeTransfer, or the file-sharing service of your choice. We can accept files in any format, however we do ask that files be submitted in high definition resolution or greater. Please contact us if you need advice on what formats, resolution, or frame rates to shoot!
- The screening. All films received will be screened at a public event on the evening of June 16th at 1007 Bigley Avenue, otherwise known as The Bakery. All teams and filmmakers are encouraged to attend. Bring your friends. The screening will be free.
- Judging. A panel of judges from within the local filmmaking community will score the films based on technical excellence, originality, and the use of prompts. Once the screening has concluded, the judges will tally their final scores and winning films will be announced.
- Prizes. Winning films will receive cash prizes as well as other perks. Prizes and perks will be announced soon!
We may have to limit our number of participants, so if you are interested we'd encourage you to register as soon as possible! Please use the form below to register with us, then click the "Pay Now" button to pay your registration fee of $30.
Once you have submitted your registration, please use the "Pay Now" button above to pay the $30 registration fee. Until we have received your fee, your registration won't be complete. We will contact you (usually within 24 hours or sooner) by email to confirm your registration and to collect any additional information that we may need from you. If your PayPal email address is different from the one you used to register with us, then please forward your PayPal receipt to email@example.com so we can correctly identify your payment!